Book a cheap City Break to Budapest with Best4Travel! Find cheap flights to Budapest and great holiday deals on hotels in Budapest. Cheap weekend getaways. Hungary holidays. Best4Travel
Book a cheap city break to Budapest with Best4Travel! As the capital of Hungary, Budapest is one of the best cultural holiday destinations in Europe.
Here at Best4Travel, we have access to great-value deals on flights and centrally located accommodation in Budapest that you won’t find anywhere else!
For more information on any of the hotels or destinations featured on Best4Travel.ie, or for a tailored quotation on any of our City Break Packages, please visit any one of our stores nationwide, or simply call one of our expert travel agents today at our Irish call centre FREE on 1800 814 000.
- Parliament Building: On the bank of the Danube (the second longest river in Europe) you will find the largest, and most stunning building in Hungary. Inaugurated in 1896 in a Gothic revival style, the parliament building, or Országház, is currently the Seat of the National Assembly of Hungary and home to the Holy Crown of Hungary.
- Shoes on the Danube Bank: Further along the river you will find the 2005 memorial by Can Togay and Gyula Pauer, which features sixty pairs of shoes made from iron facing towards the Danube River. This sombre monument was made in memory of the thousands of people, a large number of whom were taken from the Budapest Jewish ghetto, who during the Nazi occupation of Hungary were lined up on the river bank and shot by the Arrow Cross Militiamen. Three plaques accompany the monument, and say in Hungarian, Hebrew, and English, ‘To the memory of the victims shot into the Danube by Arrow Cross Militiamen in 1944-1945’.
- Buda Castle: Sitting on the eponymous Castle Hill in the heart of Budapest is Buda Castle, an incredible palace complex originally completed in 1265. The Buda Castle you’ll see today is complete with a Baroque refurbishment constructed between 1749 and 1769, which you can learn more about on a guided tour of the complex.
- Fisherman’s Bastion: On the Buda bank of the Danube River you will find the Halászbástya, the historic fortification commonly referred to as the Fisherman’s Bastion. Built between 1895 and 1902, this beautiful terrace offers a café, chapel, and incredible panoramic views of the city.
- Szechenyi Chain Bridge: Considered a marvel of engineering at its time of construction (1840-1849), this suspension bridge over the River Danube connecting Buda and Pest is still a major tourist attraction to this day.
- Heroes’ Square: This iconic square, known locally as Hősök tere, is notable for its impressive monument to Hungarian national heroes. This includes statues of the Seven Chieftains of the Magyars (the leaders of the seven Hungarian tribes in 895 AD), kings, and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
- Budapest Pinball Museum: Take a step back in time with Budapest’s very own ‘Flipper Museum’! With over 100 pinball machines dating from the 19th to the 21st century, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to go through them all.
- Street Markets
- Szimpla Sunday Farmers’ Market, Kazinczy utca 14
- Lehel Market Hall, Lehel Square
- Fény Utca Market, Lovohaz utca 12
- High Street
- Váci Street, Runs from Vörösmarty Square to Vámház körút (Central Market Hall)
- Fashion Street, Deák Ferenc utca
- Andrássy Avenue (Andrássy út), Links Erzsébet Square with the Városliget
Where to Eat in Budapest
- Low Cost
- Hoppacska, Raday utca 33
- Bors Gasztrobár, Kazinczy utca 10
- Meatology Budapest, Bajcsy-Zsilinszky utca 15/B
- Moderately Priced
- Comme Chez Soi, Aranykez utca 2
- Mazi, Alkotmany utca 19
- Lucky 7 Burgers & More, Piarista utca 1
- Caviar & Bull, Erzsebet korut 43-49
- Arany Kaviar Restaurant, Ostrom utca 19
- Baraka, Dorottya utca 6
- Kiado Pub, Jokai ter 3, 1061
- Szimpla Kert, Kazinczy u. 14, 1075
- Csendes Vintage Bar & Café, Ferenczy István u. 5, 1053
- Instant, Akácfa u. 49-51, 1072
- Corvintető, Blaha Lujza tér 1-2, 1085
- Ötkert Club & Bistro, Zrínyi u. 4/A, 1051
With Best4Travel you can have a transfer arranged for you from Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport straight to your hotel! The approximate transfer times from this airport to the city’s top hotel and tourist destinations are as follows:
- Castle Hill: 40 minutes
- Downtown (District V): 45 minutes
- Terézváros (District VI): 35 minutes
- Erzsébetváros (District VII): 30 minutes
- Józsefváros (District VIII): 30 minutes
- Ferencváros (District IX): 25 minutes
- Újlipótváros and Angyalföld (District XIII): 35 minutes
For more information or for a tailored quotation on transfers to any of the areas in Budapest featured above, please call our expert Irish call centre today FREE on 1800 814 000
- Currency: Hungarian Forint (HUF)
- Language: Hungarian
- Time Difference to Ireland: +1 hour
- Flight Time: Approx. 3 hours
- Local Phrases
- Hello: Szia! (singular), Sziasztok! (plural)
- Good morning: Jó reggelt
- How are you?: Mi újság?
- Good afternoon: Jó napot
- Good night: Jó éjszakát
- Goodbye: Búcsú
- Please: Kérem
- Thank you: Köszönöm
- You’re welcome: Szívesen
- Where is…?: Hol van…?
- Do you speak English?: Beszél angolul
- I am from Ireland: Írországból jöttem
- Public Holidays
- 1st January: New Year’s Day.
- 15 March: National Day
- 16 March: Public Holiday
- Good Friday
- Easter Sunday
- Easter Monday
- 30 April: Public Holiday
- 1st May: Labour Day
- Pentecost Sunday
- Pentecost Monday
- 20th August: St. Stephen’s Day
- 22nd October: Public Holiday
- 23rd October: Republic Day
- 1st November: All Saints Day
- 2nd November: Public Holiday
- 24th December: Christmas Eve
- 25th December: Christmas Day
- 26th December: Second Day of Christmas